Sunday, August 14, 2011

Back to Finikas on Syros

Wednesday, 27 July 2011

A meltimi was forecast to be brewing (yet again!) and we did not want to be 'caught' in the harbor in Mykonos.  Friends had been stuck here 8 days recently during a meltimi; it is not a place easily departed when strong winds blow from the north.  We are out of here!

Not happy sailing
Aaron was worried about getting seasick but didn't take any medication.  Within 15 minutes of leaving the dock he was down for the count.  Next time he will definitely take seasickness meds of some kind.  Shortly after Aaron laid down, Damien started upchucking.  He had the funniest look on his face -- like this had never happened before.  I thought, "Oh, no.  Don't tell me we are going to have to deal with a seasick baby for 3 weeks!"  But my fears were unfounded.  This turned out to be the only passage that caused him any motion distress.  Maybe it was due to the fact that he was reading books.  That might not be such a good idea for kids who are not accustomed to sailing.

Oh, almost forgot to mention that we departed the dock with no problems.  No wind blowing this time to force us onto that very low concrete dock down our port side.  And our anchor came up without fouling the lazy-line system in the fairway.   Thank our lucky stars!

Docking as Finikas town quay was almost old hat -- we have done it so many times already.  This time was even easier because Aaron was up and about again to help with the lines.  We really like this place.   This time we stayed 3 nights, 27 - 30 July.

Curling up on the floor for a short nap
One day Aaron and family took the bus into Ermoupoulis, so they had the opportunity to see a bit of the island.  One day Damien refused to lay down for a nap in any of the beds.  He gathered bath rugs and his blanket and curled up in the little space at the aft end of the passage hallway, at the entry to our aft cabin.  Why this space?  Who knows what goes through the minds of children!

The forecast meltimi did not materialize.  The forecast kept delaying onset of the winds.  By early Saturday 30 July we decided that it would be a good idea to head on down to Naxos.  Get a little closer to where we needed to be by 9 August.  Off again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be posted after we confirm that you are not a cyber stalker.