Late Sunday afternoon we arrived at Fethiye after motoring 50 NM from Kas, and anchored at 36.37.478N 029.05.789E near the Yacht Classic Hotel that our friends Jorge and Isabel on S/V EXCALIBUR had recommended. This is a very calm anchorage in the far eastern tip of the large bay at Fethiye. This location appears to be very well protected with mountains on 3 sides and the bay opening and the large ECE marina on the 4th side.
This boutique hotel has a small dock and offers 6-month winter berthing for a very reasonable price. They do not offer long-term berthing during the tourist high season, but do offer dock berthing at a much reduced rate if you eat dinner in the hotel restaurant. For our 16-meter boat the cost would be 30-40 TL per night ($16.50 - $22 USD) to cover water and electricity. If we did not eat dinner at the restaurant, the rate would be 1 Euro per foot boat length or 53 Euros ($69 USD). We checked out the restaurant menu and the prices are very reasonable, and the offerings sounded delicious. If we were docking, we would definitely eat dinner in the hotel restaurant. But we anchored out this time.
|Note the snow patches still visible on the upper elevations farther inland. This is a huge bay!|
|Far eastern end of the bay|
|Boatyard in very end; town is at other end of bay|
We found Banuhan (manager? owner?) and she showed us around the buildings. We made an instant decision to winter here next season. We had been told by others that 5 Amels wintered here last year. It is safe weather-wise. It is a good price. The people at the hotel are nice. The showers and toilets are heated during the winter. There is easy transportation to the airport. There are cars available to rent. What more could we want for a place to winter.
We wrote the contract and paid the deposit. The only caveat is that the hotel plans to lengthen the dock next spring. Boats will be required to depart when that work commences. So, rather than being allowed to stay at the dock until the normal date of 30 April, we might have to leave the dock on 15 April. That is certainly not a problem. We planned to leave Fethiye as soon as the weather is good next spring and sail northward about 100 miles for haul-out to apply anti-fouling. So we might sit at anchor a week or so if the weather is inclement. No big deal in this very protected bay.
|Facing north; bay entrance at far right|
So, we now have an address for the winter in Turkey. Next step will be to deal with immigration visa legalities. We assume we will be applying for residents' visas but there is no hurry. Our current visas expire 2 August. We can wait a month before dealing with the residents' visas. One thing I have been told is that I will need proof that we are married......because our income is Bill's retirement Social Security. I do not have a copy of our marriage certificate. Heck; that was 42 years ago! Bureaucrats and their paperwork!