TRANSLATE, TRADUIRE, ÜBERSETZEN, TRADUCIR, 翻译

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Another one of those things that I love about Amels

Yesterday, I tried to help someone with a refrigeration problem on a name-brand yacht. I was unable to get to the Danfoss compressor controller to do basic tests. The access panel the yacht builder provided was not big enough to get my hands through. I think that you probably remember my write-up on how to access the Amel refrigerator on a Super Maramu. One thumb nut and slide the entire thing out!

Today, our VHF radio suddenly quit. A check of the voltage, reflected no current going to the radio. The Sailor 6216 VHF radio is only about two years old.

\


I went to the DC-DC 24V to 12V Sailor transformers which I could access by removing two thumb nuts. They are mounted on a finished piece of mahogany plywood, with a long enough pigtail to set the entire thing on the nav-station stool. I noted the spare fuses Amel placed on the case of the first transformer, in case a fuse is blown. This is inside a fabric lined locker behind a mahogany door beneath the nav-station...open the door, remove two thumb nuts and pull the entire thing out to check fuses. Amel, yes...other boats, HA!



I opened the transformer labeled VHF. I found the fuse to be fine, but one of the power leads to the terminal-block was loose. The screw was tight and the wire-end properly soldered, but apparently when this was installed at Amel, the technician did not insert the wire-end under the screw before tightening. Clearly a mistake, but also easy to find and easy to fix.  I secured the wire and tested everything...OK. It took me a total of 5 minutes from start to finish. WOW!








Henri Amel is no longer with us, but the culture he instilled at the Amel yard will last forever...I hope! None quite like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be posted after we confirm that you are not a cyber stalker.